Thumbplay Inc.: 48000, 71073, 66075, 40443

If you were charged on your cell phone bill by Thumbplay for mobile content services or subscriptions (i.e., ringtones, premium text alerts, downloads, etc.) that you never authorized, tell us your story!

–Report Unauthorized Thumbplay Cell Phone Charges–

Thumbplay Inc. Short Codes:

Who Is Thumbplay?

According to Thumbplay’s website, “Thumbplay, Inc. is a leading online platform of mobile entertainment content” that “promotes and delivers mobile content directly to members via”

Thumbplay Websites:

Thumbplay Content:

Thumbplay offers ringtones, wallpapers, games and other text-based services. The Text Services include Pop Gossip, Hip Hop Gossip, Horoscope, Joke of the Day, Daily Insults, On this Day, Superstitions, Bible Quotes, Daily Inspiration, Romance Tips, and Booze Tips delivered to phones on a daily basis.

Thumbplay Related Subscriptions and Services:

• Thumbplay Subscription Service: $9.99/mo. for 10 credits
  • Thumbplay Transactional Service: from $1.99 per content item
  • Text Message Subscription Services : $9.99/mo. for daily text messages

Contact Thumbplay Customer Care

1-877-THUMB-99 (1-877-848-6299)

Thumbplay Supported Carriers

Supported carriers include Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, Boost, and Verizon Wireless (according to their site: coming soon for Dobson and Alltel)

Possible Thumbplay Related Websites:

How To Cancel Thumbplay Services:

According to Thumbplay’s website “You can cancel your Thumbplay Subscription Service by sending a text message from your mobile device containing only the word ‘STOP’ to the shortcode 48000.”

“You may cancel the Daily Pop Gossip Text Service at any time by sending a text message with the word STOP, END, or QUIT to the shortcode 71073.”

“You may cancel the Horoscope Text Service at any time by sending a text message with the word STOP, END, or QUIT to the shortcode 66075.”

“To cancel all other Text Services, send a text message with the word ‘STOP’, ‘END’, or ‘QUIT’ to the shortcode 40443.”

“Text Services can also be cancelled by submitting a request to Thumbplay at”

Thumbplay Related Search Terms:

cancel thumbplay, stop thumbplay, thumb play, end thumbplay, sms, premium, unauthorized charges, spam, text message, Premium TXT Messaging, thumbplay downloads

–Report Unauthorized Thumbplay Cell Phone Charges–

Be Sociable, Share!

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 30th, 2007 at 6:07 am and is filed under Content Providers. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. By using this blog, you agree to the Terms and Conditions. Under the Terms and Conditions, you agree and understand that your use of this blog does not create an attorney-client relationship, and that the contents of the blog does not constitute legal advice. This blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state. Note: We DO NOT send SMS text messages or charge you for third-party mobile content services. We have simply created a forum for consumers like you to share your cell phone billing issues with others. If you were charged on your cellular phone bill for mobile content services (i.e., ringtones, text alerts, games, etc.) you never order or authorized, you may also contact an attorney at

176 Responses to “Thumbplay Inc.: 48000, 71073, 66075, 40443”

1. Sue says:

This charge was on my last months phone bill and I had NO idea what it was until now! My phone provider cancelled it for me. And as far as ringtones… what ringtones? I plan on filing a complaint with the AZ Attorney General. If there is ever a class action suit against Thumbplay, I’m in.

2. Shirley says:

I can’t believe it. I just got a new account with T-Mobile and Thumbplay, a company I’ve never even heard of, is already charging us $9.99. If a class action suit happens I’m in too.

3. Rueter says:

I was recently checking my telephone bill and noticed that Thumbplay has been charging me a fee of $9.99 a month ( + $0.8 tax) for close to 2 years. In the AT& T bill this charge is listed as “ games graphics” and the Short Code is 48000.
    This is clearly some kind of fraud/rip-off since I have never visited this website nor have I signed-up for this feature in any other way. I am absolutely certain of it. The only reason this went undetected for so long as it did was due to the way the charge was portrayed on the bill – at first look the charge seemed like some sort of tax, but upon doing a closer inspection I realize it a fraud – feel like an ass for not detecting this earlier – the way AT&T bill is structured, they don’t explicitly reveal what the charge is – one has to dig deeper (go to another URL and sign up to find out what this charge is) – this makes me think AT&T is part of this – if there is a class action on, I am in.

4. Joe says:

The same thing happened to me. Today I received a text Special Offer! Get dwnlds at (yadda yadda yadda) Help? txt:help Stop?txt:stop. 10 credits? $9.99/mo. subscription. Msg&data rates may apply.

so I replied ‘stop’

next text from 48000

Warning! Acct cancelled with 10 pre-paid credits remaining. Reply SAVE to keep credits, redeem at Same T&Cs. Otherwise no further dwnlds/chrgs

Then I received this text:

ThumbplayTones content download subscription. You will not be charged further and your subscription is being canceled. You will not receive further messages.

So I called the company at 1-877-THUMB-99 (1-877-848-6299)

and spoke with customer service representative by the name of Bill (operator number 206)

He said that I had been signed up on October 10th. I did not sign up for this product, yet I was charged for the month of October. Being unable to credit my account with my phone company he said he could issue me a check and send it to my house in 2-3 weeks.

I asked him for a confirmation number, and he said, oh yeh and rattled of a 6 digit number.

He said if I don’t receive a check to call back in 3 weeks.

This is clearly a fraudulent company. What do I do about this? Is there anyone to contact to investigate the practices of this company?

5. Dan Naughton says:

Same story – AT&T, 9.99 for four months. My kid never signed up for this. Thumbplay is a ghost company – there’s no one to call. I didn’t see any recommendations on what to do about it, other than leave a message?

6. Floy Parkhill says:

A few minutes ago, I dialed Fandango to get movie times. Got in a auto-loop and heard two ads, at the end of which I was asked to press “9.” Then the auto voice said, “thank you.” and the call ended. Immed, I got txt msg from Thumbplay saying “subscribe to get 10 credits…enter pswrd.
    I ignored it, but in meantime, another txt msg came from my daughter and I meant to reply to it but mistakenly hit reply to the Thumbplay msg. Then got Thumbplay msg: “you are already subscribed…” Yikes. Went online to see what this Thumbplay is and found your site. Texted them back to “STOP.” Got immed reply: “Acct cancelled with 22 credits remaining.” I fear that I’ve been charged, so I’ll check my bill. I think the initial text from them was a result of my phone call to Fandango but can’t be sure.

7. Floy Parkhill says:

Yep, sure enough, I was charged $9.99 tonight. However, with AT&T online, I submitted a refund request, explaining that I did not knowingly request this product, and within minutes, a refund was approved. Good ole’ AT&T!

8. Mike says:

Everyone needs to report this scam to the New York attorney general where there office is located at. Please, otherwise us complaining and ranting about this won’t solve the problem!

9. JoAnn White says:

I was charged for THUMBPLAY and did not request it…..I called ATT and they supposedly requested a refund but it was not done then I got charged again…You are ONLY ALLOWED ONE REFUND. Am ready to switch from ATT when my contract is up!

10. Mike says:

Just received bill from T-Mobile and found a Premium Service charge for Thumbplay. Called and had T-Mobile block all future charges, along with crediting the charge back. Also sent a STOP text to 48000. Hopefully this is all it takes.

11. Ho Yeon says:

I’m using T-mobile. I was charged for thumbplay that I’ve never authorized. I have no idea about this…

12. Dennis says:

I have always checked my bill before paying it with T-Mobile and was surprised to see the ubiquitous $9.99 charge. Luckily for me, it was the very first month. I called and spoke to a customer service rep. I have no kids, and NO ONE uses my phone. The service rep was very fast to offer a credit for the 9.99 the following month and offered thumbplay’s 877-number to contact them. I have filed a complaint with the Texas state attorney general’s office as well as the New York state attorney general’s office. I also will contact T-Mobile and explain to them that I will not be paying for the $9.99 + taxes on that fee. I also filed a BBB report on this company.

13. Mark says:

I called T-mobile about 2 weeks ago to switch my wife’s data plan from 2GB to 200mb. So of course I was expecting a lower bill…nope! I checked under Premium service and there’s 48000 Thmbply 8778486299 and 23918Nitto Legends??? A similar service was added last year and T-Mobile blocked and credited me the 9.99 back, hopefully they will do the same for these other 2.

14. Wenbo says:

The same scam happened to me. I called T-mobile, after long talks with the rep finally they agree to refund but I have to wait 60 days. It is a scam and T-mobile is part of it although they claim it is a third party service and T-mobile is just acts as a biller. Will definitely change service provider and make sure to block all such scams.

15. Steven says:

I received a charge from Thumbplay a few months ago, in which I had never downloaded or bought anything from them. After that I reported it to AT&T and they credited my account back for the charges and said the service will be blocked. However, Thumbplay continues to try charge my account. I believe Thumbplay is a total scam. There is no music or video service as they describe on their website, etc… It’s a pure scam.

16. Herman Nainkin says:

noticed an unauthorized change of $10 pm. Upon calling them they made it seem like i did something wrong, i have no kids and they said “my kids” may have played with it – i dont kids. this business should be nailed hard by an attorney

17. Jay says:

I have two un-authorized charges of 9.99/month. Called them and they said they cancelled the account and credited the charges back into the account.

18. Reina says:

I noticed a $9.99 charge on my T-Mobile bill and immediately looked up the name of the company charging me. I am the ONLY one who uses my cell phone and I know for a FACT I never authorized their service and never signed up for any free tones or anything of the sort. I am VERY careful with my phone and never give that number out for any kind of “freebies”, I know better. I called T-Mobile instead of calling thumbplay directly and they are cancelling it for me and giving me a refund for the charges incurred. Thumbplay is a scam site that often times uses third party methods to STEAL your cell phone numbers and money.

19. Patricia & Andrea Aranda says:

I never signed up for this. Service and am being charged $9:99a mo. I tried texting STOP to 48000. I want all moneys paid credited to me.

20. Yvonne says:

Like the rest of you. I never signed up for this service. I called T-mobile and they credited my account and “black listed” this subscription so I will not be billed in the future. This is robbery, watch you bills…

21. Kristina says:

Never signed up, texted Stop twice, still have my messages saved. Billed twice, T-mobile couldn’t do anything. Just talked to them and she said she could only credit one charge. I said I would check with the lawyer and consumer organization if she does not credit the rest. She then offered to mail me a check. We shall see if it gets here like promised…

22. Becky says:

Same story as everyone else, never signed up but got charged! Unbelievable. Tmobile service rep said it will stop and the charge will be credited back to me within 30 days. Crossing my fingers!!

23. Beth says:

I also had 3 months of charges from them, and the funny thing is the FIRST time i noticed the charges i had asked to HAVE IT BLOCKED!
    Customer service rep said it takes 4-6 weeks for the refund

24. Linda says:

What good does it do to e-mail Thumb play to stop the service you never authorized to begin with. If they have been charging you the damage is done. I told T-mobile in no uncertain terms that I would find another phone service if I don’t get the charges reversed and for the charges to stop. They reversed the charges. I also had had a problem wtih Swizzle, about three months prior , who charged me three months in a row. T-Mobile had not been as forth coming , so my threat about going to another company more recently got results for some reason.

25. Linda says:

Oh , by the way, the Swizzle problem came up on a phone we have no texting on. T-mobile had told me you have to answer stop. I told them I don’t do Texting, and that I had told them before to block all texting in going and out going. They don’t listen very well.

26. Johnathon says:

I do not own a smart phone and have never been to their website. One day the texts started showing up indicating I was being charged. No remedy from the company or ATT. Completely absurd and fraudulent.